City Carting & Recyling Weather Delay Schedule click here
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
6:15am to 3:15pm
6:00am to 2:30pm (June, July & August)
To report an issue or ask a question, you may contact us in one of the following ways.
Website: Public Works Complaint Form
For situations posing an immediate public safety hazard that occur outside of normal operating hours, please call the Derby Police Department at 203-734-1651.
Director of Public Works: Anthony DeFala
Derby Public Works Department consists of a director, one foreman, and 12 full time employees. Employee positions are classified as follows.
- Maintainer II: truck laborers
- Maintainer III: light equipment operators
- Maintainer IV: heavy equipment operators, group leader and mechanic
Additionally, the Department may use temporary, non-bargaining unit employees in the summer and fall seasons, or hire outside contractors to supplement the existing work force.
All maintainer classes, as well as outside contractors that operate city-owned heavy equipment, are required to have a valid Connecticut Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Heavy equipment is defined as vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
Derby Public Works Department provides a broad spectrum of services to our community, focused primarily on the maintenance and repair of city-owned infrastructure.
Our operations span just over 5 square miles and encompass nearly 40 miles of roadway.
The following is a brief overview of our primary responsibilities.
· Maintenance of city-owned roads
· Care and maintenance of city-owned sidewalks, parking lots, and traffic islands
· Grounds maintenance for all municipal buildings and city-owned parks
· Snow/ice removal
· Athletic field and facility maintenance
· Maintenance of the city’s flood control system including:
o Earthen berms along the Housatonic and Naugatuck Rivers
o Four pumping stations
o Four railroad closure gates