Sanitation & Recycling Public Works

General Information

The City of Derby provides residents with weekly curbside trash and recyclable collection through a contracted vendor.

Both trash and recyclable collection occur on the same day of the week and follow a schedule determined by street.

In addition to weekly curbside pickup, Derby Public Works offers seasonal pickups of bulky items , yard waste (leaves and brush), and fresh Christmas trees .

The City also maintains a municipal transfer station , which is operated by its municipal solid waste contractor.


DO place containers or bags filled with household trash not exceeding 75 pounds curbside by 5:00am on your scheduled collection day.

DO separate recyclables from household trash and place them in the recyclable container supplied by the City on your scheduled collection day.

DO NOT include hazardous household waste such as lead-acid batteries, fluorescent bulbs, electronics, motor oil, antifreeze, paint, pesticides, and other chemicals with household trash.

Regional Household Hazardous Waste & Paint Collection Schedule - Click Here

  • Derby residents may bring fluorescent bulbs, lead-acid batteries, and waste oil to the Derby Transfer Station for proper disposal - free of charge.
  • For disposal information on all other hazardous waste items, click here .

DO NOT place oversized bulky items such as appliances, car tires, mattresses, furniture or other items at the curb for weekly pickup.   Click here for disposal information.

DO NOT place yard waste such as grass, leaves, or brush at the curb for regular weekly pickup.


The City of Derby participates in a Single Stream Recycling program.  Click here for recycling guidelines.

Recyclables should be separated from regular household trash and placed in the container supplied by the City.

Recyclable pickup occurs on the same day of the week as regular household trash collection.  Click here for collection schedule by street.

Additional recycling bins can be obtained from Derby Public Works FREE of charge with proof of residency (tax bill, utility bill, driver's license).